Dr Rajul Patel
Solent Sexual Health, Southampton, UK
University of Southampton, UK
The 2020 edition of the European guideline on the management of syphilis is an update of the 2014 edition.
Main modifications and updates include:
- The ongoing epidemics of early syphilis in Europe, particularly in men who have sex with men (MSM)
- The development of dual treponemal and non-treponemal point of care (POC) tests
- The progress in non-treponemal test (NTT) automatization
- The regular episodic shortage of benzathine penicillin G (BPG) in some European countries
- The exclusion of azithromycin as an alternative treatment at any stage of syphilis
- The pre-exposure or immediate post-exposure prophylaxis with doxycycline in populations at high risk of acquiring syphilis.
34 IUSTI Congress - European Congres on Sexually transmitted Infections and HIV/AIDS
TAMING THE TIDE of STIs & HIV
Bucharest, September 3-5,